Sei paesi latino-americani hanno espresso preoccupazione in una dichiarazione congiunta per la situazione che potrebbe venirsi a creare con lo spostamento del referendum sull’incarico conferito al presidente Nicolas Maduro dopo la sospensione fino al 2017. La scorsa settimana, infatti, il Consiglio Nazionale Elettorale del Venezuela aveva detto che la consultazione avrebbe potuto tenersi a metà del primo trimestre del 2017, mentre l'opposizione aveva sperato che la votazione si svolgesse prima del 10 gennaio visto che dopo quel termine, secondo la Costituzione, Maduro sarebbe comunque rimasto il leader del paese per altri 2 anni. “I ministri degli Esteri hanno espresso la loro preoccupazione per la decisione del Consiglio Nazionale Elettorale della Repubblica Bolivariana del Venezuela, il 21 settembre, che tra le altre cose prevede l'uso di un particolare metodo di raccolta del 20 per cento delle firme degli elettori, che alla fine porta allo spostamento del referendum nel 2017”, si legge nella dichiarazione, pubblicata sul sito web del ministero degli Esteri messicano. La dichiarazione è stata firmata dal ministro degli Esteri argentino Susana Malcorra, e dagli omologhi di Brasile e Cile, Jose Serra e Heraldo Munoz, così come dai ministri degli Esteri del Paraguay, Messico e Perù - Eladio Loizaga, Claudia Ruiz Massieu e Ricardo Luna. I sei hanno ribadito il loro sostegno e la volontà di contribuire ad un dialogo tra il governo venezuelano e i diversi attori politici e sociali nel paese per promuovere la stabilità politica, la ripresa economica e il pieno rispetto dei diritti umani.

Six Latin American Countries in a joint statement expressed concern over the situation with the planned referendum on President Nicolas Masuro’s recall after the authorities suspended the plebiscite until 2017. Last week, Venezuela’s National Electoral Council said that a potential referendum could be held in mid-first quarter of 2017, while the opposition had hoped the vote would be held before January 10. In case the vote is held later than January 10, Maduro will remain as the leader for 2 more years, according to the country’s constitution. Otherwise, presidential elections will be held. “The Foreign Ministers expressed their concern over the decision of the National Electoral Council of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela on September 21, which among other aspects stipulates the use of a particular method of collecting 20 percent of voters' signatures, which ultimately leads to the implementation of the referendum being moved to 2017 and has an effort on the very idea of the plebiscite,” the statement, published on the Mexican Foreign Ministry’s website on Wednesday, said. The statement was signed by Argentinian Foreign Minister Susana Malcorra, her counterparts from Brasil and Chile, Jose Serra and Heraldo Munoz, as well as the foreign ministers of Paraguay, Mexico and Peru - Eladio Loizaga, Claudia Ruiz Massieu and Ricardo Luna, accordingly. They reaffirmed their support and willingness to contribute to a dialogue between the Venezuelan government and various political and social actors in the country to promote political stability, economic recovery and full respect for human rights. The opposition has been trying to oust Maduro for months amid widespread public discontent driven by acute economic problems the country is facing and collecting signatures in support of a referendum on removing Maduro from office. The first stage of signature gathering has already been completed and the opposition has moved on to the second stage, which requires about 20 percent of voters to give their support to the referendum. The second stage will be held on October 26-28, and, if completed, will be followed by the launching of the referendum.